This Level 3 technical qualification will provide learners with the knowledge, skills and behaviours needed for entry to a range of catering occupations. The core knowledge and understanding will be assessed through an examination and core skills through a practical employer-set project.
This qualification is designed to support learners who are interested in a career catering, as part of the programme of study the learner will complete a significant industrial placement. This is a two-year, full-time course that will give the learner the options of moving into a skilled occupation, further study i.e. higher or degree level apprenticeship or higher education.
The T Level Technical Qualification in Catering has three mandatory components:
This will include topics such as: Culinary, Kitchen Operations, Health, safety and
Security, Nutritional analysis, Food safety, Team working and Business.
2. Specialism – Professional Cookery
For Professional Cookery, students are expected to develop understanding and advanced skills in each performance outcome to work with all different food groups as follows:
• meat, poultry, and game, including associated products
• fish and shellfish dishes and products
• vegetables, vegan and vegetarian dishes, including vegetarian protein sources and specific
dietary considerations and needs
• dough and batter products, including fermented dough and batter products
• paste and patisserie products
• hot, cold, and frozen desserts
• biscuits, cakes, and sponges
3. Industry placement
- 315 hour (45 days) minimum industry placement
(Students must have completed the food safety training content prior to commencing their industry placement).
This is an exam-based qualification.
The core knowledge and understanding are assessed through an examination and core skills through a practical employer-set project.
A T Level in Catering.
- Higher Apprenticeship
5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English and Maths at grade 5.